Club History

  1. In January 1904, Smith B. Quayle founded what is today known as AAF Cincinnati. The first general meeting of the Club, originally called the Five Points Club after its five originators, was held on January 27, 1904 at Burnet House. The historic hotel, which stood at the corner of Third and Vine, served as the first home to club meetings. Smith B. Quayle would later go on to found the National Advertising club, now the American Advertising Federation.
  2. The Club's first committee was the Entertainment and Initiation Committee, which decided at its first meeting to provide members with free cigars from club funds. It was in 1905 that the Club founded the Retail Merchants Association.
  3. In 1910, the Club hosted the third national convention of what is known today as the American Advertising Federation (AAF).
  4. It was in 1919 that the Club formed a vigilance committee that would, in the Roaring Twenties, become the Cincinnati Better Business Bureau. Club president Ned Hastings applauded the passing of the time when advertising "press agents" were associated with trickery and believed that, at last, the advertising profession had taken on dignity.
  5. On January 9, 1929, at the Club's Silver Anniversary celebration at the Hotel Gibson, Smith Quayle commented: "In the first 25 years of the 20th century, the automobile, the telephone, airplane, cinema, radio, far-flung highways, ethics in business and advertising as an economic factor, have all developed within the memory of men not yet old."
  6. In 1954, the Club celebrated its 50th anniversary at the Sheraton-Gibson Roof Garden with dinner and dancing and an address by none-other-than television legend Ed Sullivan. According to the next day's Enquirer, that 50th event was the second largest meeting in the Club's history with more than 750 people present.
  7. In the 1960s, the local United Appeal Campaign was a major annual civic project for the Club. In 1961, the Club spearheaded an Advertising Week with a campaign themed, "Advertising Creates More Jobs, Better Living, A Stronger America."
  8. In 1976, Advance became a slick new magazine with four-color printing on coated stock.
  9. Cincinnati AD 2 was formed in 1976.
  10. In the 1970s, the Club changed its name from the Advertisers Club of Cincinnati to the Advertising Club of Cincinnati.
  11. In 1978, the organization held its first Media & Services Auction. The event took place at the Bankers Club with proceeds benefitting WCET's Tower Power project.
  12. 1979 slipped by without a 75th anniversary celebration. The only acknowledgement was a mention in Advance magazine. So, under Steve Cooper's presidency, on January 27, 1984, the Advertising Club of Cincinnati celebrated its 80th anniversary in grand style with a black-tie-optional gala at the Netherland Plaza's Hall of Mirrors. 420 guests included 17 past presidents and celebrities such as Nick and Nina Clooney, Bob Braun, Reggie Williams, Al and Wanda Lewis, and many more. Ad 2 hosted an exhibit of Cincinnati advertising history with vintage ads and Club mementos. The crowd danced to big band sounds and enjoyed videotaped happy birthday messages from the likes of Bounty Towels' Rosie, Charmin's Mr. Whipple, and Cincinnati Bengals' No. 80 Chris Collinsworth.
  13. The Advertising Club of Cincinnati was recognized as Ad Club of the Year in 1987 and again in 1991.
  14. On Saturday evening, November 20, 2004, The Advertising Club of Cincinnati celebrated its 100th anniversary at the rotunda of the Cincinnati Museum Center. The event became the focus for advertising stars past and present as the red carpet was rolled out for everyone in the business. Ad Club President Wally Snyder came in from Washington, DC, to congratulate the Club on its Centennial. Past presidents and past Silver Medalists were there to join in the celebration as well. Cincy Business Magazine published a Commemorative Publication complete with congratulatory ads for the celebration none more memorable than Bridge Worldwide's tribute to the Club's founder Smith B. Quayle who, after decades of silence, had something to say at www.cincyadgeezer.com.
  15. Since that big celebration in 2004, the Ad Club has made major strides. With the two-year presidency of Jack Streitmarter and with Judy Thompson having accepted the position of Executive Director, an ambitious Board of Directors has taken on goals that include significant increases in membership numbers and a bolder visibility within the Greater Cincinnati business community.
  16. In June of 2006, the Club took home multiple awards (competing with other Division II clubs, 250-499 members) from the AAF National Conference in San Francisco: a first place in Diversity for the $1,000 Crain Communications Award, a second place in Membership, and third place in both Public Service and Communications.
  17. At the end of the 2006-2007 club year, the Advertising Club of Cincinnati welcomed its 400th member.